Monday, April 12, 2010

Supporting Language Learners

Supporting Language Learners from Teaching Children Mathematics

This article suggests two methods of assisting language learners in the mathematics classroom. One method involves helping the students through their English language acquisition. Some strategies include using advanced organizers, bi-lingual organizers, explaining mathematical terms as homonyms (some,sum), visual cues, and adjusting teacher talk (repeating, slowing down, simplifying, consistency, and avoiding idioms). The article discussed two tasks which assist language learners in developing their terminology. One involved a story with manipulatives relating to the story (fishing) and checked the students' understanding of "more than" and "less than." The other activity shows how teachers can change the wording of directions to a problem to be more consistent with language learners vocabulary. A second method of helping language learners in the classroom is to promote a low-anxiety classroom environment. Teachers should reassure the language learner that mistakes are common. They should teach their students how to applaud and praise each other rather than ridicule mistakes. Routines also help language learners feel comfortable in the classroom - knowing what will come next in the day. Finally, teachers should use signals and assign classroom buddies to ease tension that language learners may feel .

I have already had the opportunity to apply some of these strategies - not with language learners, but with a student with Asperger's syndrome who struggled processing words and dictating his thoughts. I noticed that assisting him with understanding words was always necessary, regardless of the subject. He was an intelligent child, but simply needed extra help with vocabulary. I also noticed that he performed much higher when he was at ease in the classroom. If he felt like his peers were watching him or making fun of him, he lost all ability to function. I am sure that language learners will pose different experiences than I had with this student, but I do believe that applying the strategies for making the classroom a comfortable place and helping them with their vocabulary will assist them greatly in mathematics.

No comments:

Post a Comment